Instead, their faith that Yahweh was the God of the living, and that Sheol was cut off from him, led eventually to the hope of a positive afterlife. This important study sheds fresh light on Israelite beliefs in an area central to the later development of the Christian faith. Contents Part A: Death 1. Death in the Old Testament 2.
Shades of Sheol: Death and Afterlife in the Old Testament
The Unwelcome Underworld 4. The Threatening Underworld 5. The Pervasive Underworld? Part C: The Dead 6. Naming the Dead 7. Consulting the Dead 8.
- The Rise and Fall of Abacus Banking in Japan and China.
- Shades of Sheol: Death and Afterlife in the Old Testament?
- BIBLE STUDY MANUALS: SHEOL, GEHENNA, HADES AND THE AFTERLIFE - A BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVE.
- See a Problem?.
Communion Beyond Death Resurrection from Death. View full details.
A Life Lost Wilson Adams. Open to the public ; Lohe Memorial Library.
Review of Philip S. Johnston, Shades of Sheol: Death and Afterlife in the Old Testament
Avondale College Library. Mannix Library. Open to the public Held. Dalton McCaughey Library.
Open to the public Book English Macquarie University. Macquarie University Library. Open to the public ; BS Moore Theological College Library.
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Open to the public Book English Tabor Adelaide. Tabor College Library. Trinity Theological College Library.
Open to the public Book English Vose Seminary. Vose Library. Open to the public Book English Show 0 more libraries None of your libraries hold this item. Found at these bookshops Searching - please wait We were unable to find this edition in any bookshop we are able to search. These online bookshops told us they have this item:.
Tags What are tags? Johnston is director of studies in theology and religious studies and senior tutor at Hughes Hall, Cambridge.
- Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II;
- The Skorokhod embedding problem and its offspring?
- Death and Afterlife in the Old Testament.
- Opportunities in Physician Careers.
- Ancient Bloodlines (Vampire: The Requiem (White Wolf)).
He has taught at Belfast, St. Andrews, and Oxford. He has published studies of Israelite afterlife beliefs, and has an interest in Israel past and present--along with a commitment to reconciliation. IVP Academic. Special Offers. IVP Book Club.
Johnston Biblical Studies Old Testament. Shades of Sheol. BY Philip S. Interpreting Deuteronomy. Interpreting the Psalms. Marriage, Family and Relationships.